Our flagship magazine is at the heart of operations here at Nine Arches Press. It is a lively mix of the best up-and-coming and established poets and writers, as well as reviews and articles.
The magazine is always one of our best-selling publications, so be sure to grab a copy whilst they're in stock, or take out a great value four-issue subscription and have each new issue sent as soon as it is available, with free postage.
Under the Radar Issue 30
Rosalind Adam • Juliet Antill • Louisa Campbell • Anne Casey • Janet Bi Li Chan • Olga Dermott Bond • Eilín de Paor • Tammy Greenwood • Sinéad Griffin • Daisy Henwood • L.B. Jørgensen • Susanne Lansman • Michael Laskey • Rachel Lewis • Hannah Linden •
Helen Kay • Rowan Lyster • Simon Madrell • James McDermott • Cara L. McKee • Sujatha Menon • Sharon Phillips • Kali Richmond • Jonny Rodgers • Laura Seymour • Carrie Smithstead • David Thompson • Lynn Valentine • Kim E Waters • Jane Wilkinson • Sarah Wimbush
SHORT FICTION FEATURE: FUEL ANTHOLOGY
Kit de Waal • Tania Hershman • Ida Keogh
PLUS REVIEWS OF SELECTED NEW BOOKS AND PAMPHLETS
Jennifer Wong reviews:
Nancy Campbell, Jennifer Lee Tsai, Mukahang Limbu, and Charlotte Sharvenko Knight
Rishi Dastidar Reviews:
Kim Moore and Jackie Wills
Natalie Linh Bolderston reviews:
lisa luxx, Amlanjyoti Goswami, and Anthony Joseph
Maria Taylor reviews:
Anthony Anaxagorou, Katie O’Pray, and Peter Sansom
Pam Thompson reviews:
Cathy Grindrod, D.A. Prince, and Zaffar Kunial
Under the Radar is a magazine of new contemporary writing and is published three times a year by Nine Arches Press. We welcome submissions of new poetry and short fiction to Under the Radar.
We especially welcome submissions of new work by writers from diverse backgrounds who have been traditionally under-represented in literature and publishing, and actively encourage women, writers of colour, LGBTQ+, Disabled, D/deaf, and low-income writers to consider sending us their work.
We welcome submissions of poetry and short fiction to Under the Radar magazine, but please take note of the following guidelines and our open submissions dates.
• Please only submit previously unpublished work.
• Send up to six poems, or a maximum 2,500 words of short fiction.
• We accept submissions from anywhere in the world.
• All submissions must be made online through our Submittable portal during our open submission dates (see opposite). Please contact us if you are not able to access Submittable online to arrange alternative method of submission. Please do not otherwise send your work to the Nine Arches Press email or postal addresses.
• To send your submission, please visit: www.ninearchespress.com/magazine.html
• November poetry submission windows are themed; please send work that responds thematically in compelling and surprising ways. The connection to the theme can be interpreted freely and does not need to be obvious, so we encourage you to keep it curious!
• Please do not make multiple submissions by sending work you have also simultaneously submitted to other magazines, competitions or publications, or by sending us further work to consider before we have responded to your first submission. In addition, please do not submit and then withdraw work once submitted.
• Please include a cover letter with your full postal address, as well as a short biographical note (in the third person of no more than 50 words).
• Unfortunately, we are not able to offer payment for poems or short stories selected for publication in the magazine but we do send a complimentary copy of the magazine and offer discounts on subscription for featured writers. 10 free magazine subscriptions for low income writers who do not currently have a subscription to the magazine are made available annually every September.
• To ensure plenty of variety, we do not feature the same poets in consecutive issues. Please allow at least six months before submitting to the magazine again if we have published some of your poems in the most recent issue.
• We receive a high volume of submissions. Please allow at least 12 weeks from the close of the submissions window for our reply. We always respond to every submission.
Under the Radar magazine will be open to submissions of poetry and short fiction on the following dates:
1st May – 7th June 2022
1st November – 7th December 2022. Theme: Journeys.
1st June – 7th July 2022
1st December 2022 – 7th January 2023
If you do have a query about submission, which is not covered by these guidelines, you can contact us here.
We will be accepting submissions of poetry and short fiction for Under the Radar between during following dates:
1st May – 7th June 2023
1st November – 7th December 2023 Theme: TBC
1st June – 7th July 2023
1st December 2023 – 7th January 2024
To send us your poems or short fiction for Under the Radar magazine, just click the Submittable button here.
We look forward to reading your poetry and short fiction. Good luck!